Sunday, December 2, 2012

Graphic Fiction and Graphic Nonficition



Cockaboody

I thought cockaboody was adorable.  The style was simple and childish the raw dialogue worked so well. I still remember what it was like when my sister was a toddler. There was a lot of gibberish that meant something. It was cute and very real

New York Diary

I’m really surprised how personal this story was. They all seemed centered around her experiences with men and her experiences were horrible. My god, it was as if New York was filled with the worst people in the world. But Julie didn’t just paint a picture of horrible men we learned about her and why she let these things happen. She grew up very sheltered in a catholic school. If I were out in a park and some strange man tried to tell me about his penis I’d probably walk away. But Julie didn’t she was too awkward too sheltered.
            All of her experiences with men seem like they all expected something from her. If she went to their house she was expected to have sex. If she was nice then she was expected to hold them as they died. Her last boyfriend expected everything from her; he was such a child. This is actually an example of a feminist issue. The feminine mystique not only makes woman strive to be something unreal but it paints unreal expectations of women for other men. All of those men, even the ones she know for a short time felt like they were entitled to something from her.
            Yes it took awhile for Julie to finally get a back bone and I’m sure her experience would’ve been different if she just said “stop I’m uncomfortable” but I can’t help but wonder why those men didn’t see that she was nervous? I suppose they just didn’t care about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment